Doughnut Recipe: Here’s to all the bread lovers in the house. Does anyone care for some yummy and delicious doughnuts? We are determined to take you through the process of how to make the best doughnut you’ve ever tasted.
For this recipe, we will be using bread flour. Bread flour is another type of flour that has higher protein which produces more gluten, results in a higher dough rise & becomes more elastic than what All Purpose flour can have.
The Best Doughnut Recipe
- 1 cup warm milk (fresh or evap) [240 ml]
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup sugar [or 2 tbsp/30 grams]
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 & 3/4 cups bread flour or apf [352 grams]
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp margarine/butter
- Powdered or granulated sugar (for dusting/coating)
- In a clean bowl, add some warm milk. 1 cup of milk is preferable. Break in a large egg into the milk. Now, add 2 tablespoons of sugar or 30 grams. Add 2 tablespoons of instant yeast (7 grams).
- Now, add 2 & 3/4 cups of bread flour (352 grams). Next, add 1/2 tablespoon of salt. Mix until it turns into a dough. Now, add 2 tablespoons of margarine (or butter) (30 grams). Mix effectively. If your dough mixture turned out too wet, you may add up some flour (Not too much).
- On the other hand, if your dough mixture turned out too dry, you may add up some butter or veg. oil.
- Now, knead for at least 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Gluten develops faster on bread flour, which makes dough elastic. It may take you about 5 minutes or less to knead, but do so until you are content with the outcome
- If your dough becomes dense, tough, and difficult to flatten & fold, that is a sign of over-kneaded dough. Once you see that the dough is elastic enough, you can set it aside.
- In a clean bowl, add some oil. Place the dough in the bowl and immerse it in the oil. Turn it over and over. Cover for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size. As soon as the dough has risen, punch air out of the dough. Take it off the bowl and form the dough into a log.
- Now, cut the dough into smaller pieces (any desired size). Now, shape each piece into a ball, tuck-in & pinch edges to seal. Now, lightly flatten the dough and poke a hole in the center of the dough using a piping bag nozzle (or any small plastic bottle cap or simply use a doughnut cutter if available). Repeat this process for every ball.Next, cover and proof for at least 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, start your deep-frying. Place the doughnuts in oil until slightly brown (cook on low flame). Turn the doughnuts to the side and make sure that each side is brown or light brown. Take off the doughnuts as soon as they are ready.
- You can powder with sugar or coat with granulated sugar. Your delicious doughnuts are ready to be served and eaten.
YouTube Video Credits: