Nigerian Egg Roll Recipe: When it comes to sumptuous and delicious snacks like egg rolls, a lot of people opt for it because why not? It’s filling, healthy, and just deserving. As long as there is an egg in it, egg lovers will always take it. So, today, we will be showing you how to make delicious Nigerian egg rolls and maybe after this tutorial, you’ll know what the fuss about egg rolls is about.
Let’s get started.
Step By Step Nigerian Egg Roll Recipe
- 4 cups of flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt5. 100 g butter
- 1 cup of milk (add it gradually until you get the correct consistency)
- 2 eggs for the dough
- 1 dozen boiled eggs
- Ginger for flavor (use any flavor of your choice)
- Pineapple flavor (use any flavor of your choice)
- Oil for deep-frying.
- If you have an egg cooker, use that, but if you don't, you can boil your eggs the traditional way. We would need the eggs boiled for this recipe. You'll need to cook it for about 15 minutes.
- When your eggs are ready, put them in a bowl of cold water. It would stop the cooking process and make the eggs to peel easier whenever you're ready to. You can peel the eggshells now. Once that is done, you can put it aside now and get started on the other ingredients.
- For this next stage, you will need butter, milk, and eggs. Now, in a large bowl, sift in 4 cups of flour. It's very important to sift the flour before using it. Next, add a teaspoon of baking powder, a teaspoon of salt. Now add 1/3 cups of sugar and mix gently.
- Now, add the butter. Add 100g of butter and mix together. In another bowl, crack in two raw eggs. Whisk the eggs together and set aside too. Now, grate in some ginger into the flour mix (This is totally optional, but you can use nutmeg). Now, create a space in the middle and add your raw eggs. Next, add your flavor. You can use any flavor of your choice. Add 1/4 of a teaspoon. Add milk gradually. Mix together and continue adding milk little by little till you get a nice dough.
- Keep mixing until you get a comfortable dough. You can use your hands to knead the dough, but make sure that they are clean first. Don't over-knead the dough or else, your egg roll will be hard. Once that is done, cover it with a clean kitchen towel and place aside to marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Next, add some oil in a pan and get ready to deep-fry the egg rolls. Set the cooker on low so that it will take longer for the oil to heat up fully. Place a paper towel in a sieve to place the egg rolls when they are taken off the oil.
- Now, let's check on our dough. It's ready. Take the dough out of the bowl onto a clean surface. Now, divide the dough into the number of egg rolls you have in mind. Next, take a piece of the divided dough and flatten it out on the already floured surface.
- Use a rolling pin, but if you don't have one, you can use a pestle. Now, once it's flattened out, add your boiled egg to the dough and seal it very nicely. Place it aside. Repeat this process for the other dough until your egg rolls are ready to be fried.
- Now, test if the egg is hot enough. To do that, use a skewer, once you see bubbles around the skewer, know that it is hot enough. Next, drop the egg rolls inside the oil and fry on medium heat until they are golden brown. Stir from time to time.
- Don't forget that the egg rolls are heavy and as such, they may always like to stick to the pan or the bottom of it. Don't forget to stir from time to time. Once they are ready, take them off the oil and into the paper towel sieve. Your egg rolls are ready to be served and eaten.
If the oil is too hot, your egg rolls will be golden brown on the outside and half cooked on the inside. That’s not okay at all and if you’re making egg rolls to sell, then there would be a problem with your clients and customers. Make sure that you are frying on medium heat. If it’s on low heat, your egg rolls would be soaked with oil and that is definitely bad too.
YouTube Video Credit: