How To Make Crunchy Nigerian Chin Chin: If you have an interest in baking, making some delectable snacks and comfort bites like chin chin, puff puff, doughnuts, egg rolls and all other side brunch snacks, then you should really pay attention to this chin chin recipe. Chin chin is one snack that is fast becoming an adaptable snack that can be eaten anywhere, anytime. So, why not try out this chin chin recipe at home. Let’s start.
Learn How To Make Crunchy Nigerian Chin Chin
- 1 Cup of Milk
- Baking Powder
- Half teaspoon of Pineapple flavor
- Flour 2000 grams
- Sugar 300 grams.
HOW TO PREPARE:
- First, measure out 2000 grams of flour into a clean bowl. Next, measure out 300 grams of sugar. Now, start by sifting the flour. This is important because it helps with filtering the lumps out of the flour. When and if you see any lumps, use a spatula to flatten the lumps out.
- Now, sift your sugar too into the flour and throw away any chaff that lingers on the sieve. The amount of sugar you decide to use depends on what your ideal sugar taste stands for.
- You can add sugar to taste. Now, add one tablespoon of salt to the flour. Now, add two tablespoons of baking powder to the mix. Next, grate half a nutmeg into the flour.
- Now, mix everything together with a whisk until everything is well combined. In another bowl, crack in 4 eggs (although you can make the chin chin without the eggs). Now, add your half teaspoon of pineapple flavor. You can use any flavor of your choice. Now whisk the eggs gently.
- Now, back to your flour, add the butter to the flour. Now, make sure your hands are spotless before you start mashing the flour and butter gently together. Keep mixing till you get a smooth texture, and you have evenly spread the butter into the flour.
- Now, create a hole in the middle of the bowl and add your whisked egg. Also, add your cup of milk to it. You can use evaporated milk or any milk of choice. Now, mix everything together. You can start to add your liquid gradually until you get the texture you want.
- Add one cup of water for the first input. You can add more milk if you want it to be very creamy, and also if you don't want to use more water. Mix it well until it forms a dough.
- Now, transfer the dough to a flat surface and knead for a minute, not more. If you over-knead your dough, your chin chin will turn hard when it comes out. Now, transfer it to a clean bowl and cover it for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Next, take out the dough and separate it into four. Take one part and place it on a flat surface. Cover the rest of the dough. Add some flour on the work surface. Place the cut-out dough and start rolling it to become flat.
- Now, you can use a knife to make chin chin lines, or you can use a pastry cutter. Now, start cutting. For your chin chin, you have to be very moderate, if you use too much butter, your cooking oil will foam when you are frying, if you use too much flour, the cooking oil when you are frying as well. So, you have to keep everything moderate.
- Now, cut your dough into tiny bits, square-shaped and smoothly. Once that is done, take out the cut chin chin and place them in a tray. Put that aside and repeat the same process with the other dough in the bowl until you have chopped up your dough into small squares.
- Place a baking mat over the baking tray and add your chin chin. You can use a parchment paper. Now, brush the chin chin with avocado oil or any oil of your choice. This is to prevent the chin chin from drying out in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (ca. 177 degree Celsius) for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add some oil into a pan and allow it to heat up slowly. You can use any oil of your choice, but not palm oil. To check if the oil is heated, throw in a few chin chins and watch it. If it floats, then the oil is hot. Fry on medium heat. Stir from time to time so that it can fry without some getting burnt and some half done.
- Take the chin chin out of the oil before it reaches your desired color because the chin chin will still turn brown when it's off the heat. Place your chin chin in a tray to cool down before serving.Check on your baked chin chin and pour them out on a tray to also cool down.
You can add rosemary leaf when frying to give it a special taste.