Tasty Seafood Okra Soup: Today, we would be sharing the secret to preparing your very own tasty and delicious seafood Okra soup. For a lot of Okra soup lovers, get in here, we are about to let you in on a big cooking secret. First, seafood has been proven to be not only delicious but very healthy for the body, and we urge you to prepare this soup with it. Once you do, there’s no turning back, you’ll always want seafood in your soup. So, let’s get right into it.
Tasty Seafood Okra Soup
- Croaker fish
- Seasoning cubes
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- Red oil
- Locust beans
- Vegetables (optional).
- In a clean pot, add your already washed croaker fish and your already washed crabs. Next, add your chopped onions, seasoning cubes, some salt and some blended or pounded scotch bonnet pepper.
- Now, add some water and stir to evenly distribute the ingredients. Then, cover it and allow it to cook for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add your shrimps and cook for an extra 2 minutes before taking it off the heat.
- Check back on the fish and take the fish, crabs, and shrimps off the heat. Don't forget to save the fish stock, we'll need it later.
- Now, heat up some red oil in a cook pot and add some salt and onions. Give it a stir and let it fry for about a minute. Now, add some locust beans and stir again.
- Now is the best time to add your already chopped okra. Once that is added, start stirring vigorously. You want the oil to get to every part of the okra and for it to be well combined.
- After about 5 minutes, add the fish stock bit by bit as you stir. Once you've achieved the consistency you want and desire, you can now add your already washed periwinkles to the mix and stir again. Now, add your ground crayfish and stir.
- This is the time to add your Croaker fish, crabs, and the shrimps. Don't forget to stir once more. At this point, add your seasoning cubes and spread evenly. Add your pepper and salt and any other ingredient of your choice (if necessary) to adjust the taste to your liking.
- If you want, you can add any vegetable of your choice. A lot of people don't like to. It's your choice. You can use pumpkin leaves (Ugu), bitter leaf, uziza leaves etc. There's a lot to choose from.
- After adding the leaves, stir gently and be careful not to break up the fish. Once you do that, after about 2 minutes, you can take it off the heat.
- Your delicious soup is ready to be served with Eba, pounded yam, fufu or Semolina.
When you’re using fish for this recipe, the possibility of the fish breaking up in the pot is there. If you don’t stir carefully, you might have broken fish or bits of it by the end of the cooking, and that’s not funny. So, be sure to take extra care when turning the food and always check the taste to adjust accordingly. You can use seafood to make this recipe, in fact, it is recommended, but if you are not buoyant enough, any protein will suffice.