Delicious Calabar Afang Soup Recipe
Delicious Afang Soup Recipe: Widely known to the Calabar people of Nigeria, Afang soup is one of the easiest Nigerian soups you can make. It is also delicious and full of nutrition!. Apart from its nutritional benefits, Afang soup is very yummy and savory. So, today, we will be giving you a tutorial on how to make this sweet Afang soup at home using a few ingredients. Let’s get started.
There are two major ways of cooking Afang soup. Most people don’t know the other method which doesn’t require water leaf, and it’s a classic. It’s called “Afang eyop”. The language “Eyop” is what the Igbos called banga.
Afang eyop is prepared the same way banga soup is prepared, and here’s a tip on how to make it. Let’s call it step 1.
1. Palm kernel
2. Meats, stock fish, fish etc
6. Seasoning cubes
7. Afang leaves.
1. Boil the palm kernel in water until soft. This should take about 20 to 25 minutes.
2. In a mortar and pestle, pound the kernels until it is pulpy, then transfer the pulp to a large bowl. Add water and sieve into another bowl or pot. Keep doing this until you get enough liquid extract to make your soup. Dispose of the rest.
3. Wash and season your meats, fish (preferably fresh catfish) and whatever else you are using and boil until soft.
4. Boil the extracted palm kennel liquid for about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Then add your meat, fish, crayfish, a little pepper, salt, and seasoning cube to taste and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add your Afang leaves and let it cook for about 15 -20 minutes or less. That’s it.
Let’s check out step 2
1. Stock fish
2. Smoked fish
3. Smoked catfish
5. Crayfish or prawns
6. Goat meat or any kind of beef
7. Afang leaves
8. Water leaf
9. Kpomo (cow skin)
10. Palm oil
11. Seasoning cubes
12. Fresh pepper
13. Ground pepper
Start out by washing and cooking your goat meat or any other type of protein you want in a pot. Add some salt, water, and seasoning cubes. If you want, you can add onions. Wash your Kpomo and add it to the pot. Before then, you must have cut them into nice sizes. Add your stock fish when the meat is halfway cooked. Add your prawn or crayfish or whatever you want now. This would be a good time to do that.
Afang soup is one of the easiest soup to make. It’s also delicious and healthy. Let the meat boil for a while before adding your freshly pound pepper. Also add your ground crayfish before mixing them up. Stir gently to let the ingredients combine well. Now, let’s get back to the vegetables. After washing them, place the Afang leaves in a blender, add a little water and blend nicely. If you find out that you added too much water to the Afang leaves, you can sieve it out when you finish. If you don’t, the soup will be too watery.
After that is done, wash your water leaf in a bowl and start rubbing against each other gently (As indicated in the video). Check on your soup and add your periwinkles and your water leaf. Don’t stir yet, simply cover the pot and allow it to steam for about 5 minutes. Now, stir and add your seasoning cubes, ground pepper and maybe, more crayfish. Now, stir again. This is the time you add your blended Afang leaves and stir again. Add some palm oil, mix everything together, cover for about 3 minutes and your soup is ready to be eaten with either semolina, garri, fufu, pounded yam or whatever starch you wish.
This is only a recipe. There are still other ways of preparing this delicious and healthy Afang soup. You can try out whatever new method you wish, starting with this. Give us a beep when you do. Let us know how it went.
Watch Video Below:
YouTube Video credit: Sisi Yemmie