Classic Tarte Tatin: Did you know that Tarte Tatin is one of the most known French pastries?. The famous pattern of caramelized apples on puff pastry is known all around the world.
While this dessert looks beautiful and elegant and seems hard to make, it’s actually pretty easy to make authentic Tarte Tatin at home. Let’s go.
Classic Tarte Tatin Recipe
Did you know that Tarte Tatin is one of the most known French pastries?. The famous pattern of caramelized apples on puff pastry is known all around the world.
For The Pastry:
- 1 sheet Puff pastry
For the caramel:
- 1/2 cup (100g) Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Water
- 1/4 cup (60g) Butter
For the apples:
- 8-10 Apples
- 5 tablespoons (75g) Butter
- 1/3 cup (80ml) tablespoons Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Prepare a 9-inch (23cm) round cake pan
- Make the caramel: in a saucepan combine sugar and water. Heat over medium heat until sugar dissolved. Be careful not to burn. Once sugar is completely melted and reached a deep amber color, remove the saucepan from heat. Immediately add butter (Be careful, as the caramel will bubble up) and whisk until butter is melted and incorporated. Turn the heat on, cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, until thickens
- Pour the caramel to the bottom of the pan, spread evenly and set aside.
- Cook the apples: Peel the apples, then cut in half and remove the core. Cut each half into 2 pieces.
- In a medium sized pan melt butter, add water, cinnamon (optional) and stir. Add the apples, mix and make sure all the apples are coated with butter. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until half cooked. Stir every 2-3 minutes
- Assembly: arrange the apples quarters very tightly over the caramel.
- Roll the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut a 9-inch (23cm) circle
- Lay the circle of puff pastry on top of the apples. Tuck the puff pastry down the sides of the pan. Gently pierce the pastry with a fork or a knife.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the pasty is golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.
- Invert the pan onto a large serving plate.11. Serve and enjoy!
YouTube Video Credit
The Cooking Foodie