Parfait Recipe: For a lot of Nigerians, Parfait is fast becoming the new fave and there are definitely a number of ways you can make a good homemade, healthy parfait just for yourself and your family. We’ll be teaching you how to do that in a while, but first, some information you didn’t know about Parfait.
Parfait In French: [paʁfɛ] (listen); meaning “perfect” is either of two types of dessert. The dish originated in France and is made by boiling cream, egg, sugar, and syrup to create a custard-like purée. The American version consists of layers differentiated by the inclusion of such ingredients as granola, nuts, yogurt, and liqueurs, topped off with fruits or whipped cream.
Either type is typically served in tall glassware together with a long spoon known as a parfait spoon. The classical parfait glass is stemware, with a short stem and a tall slender bowl, often tapered towards the bottom, also used for serving milkshakes.
Why is it called a parfait?
The word “parfait” actually means “perfect” in French. The origin of parfait can be traced back to references to a dessert in French cuisine in 1894. They’re regularly prepared in tall glasses known as parfait glasses and are typically made with layers of ingredients.
Is a parfait healthy?
Yogurt parfaits can be great fuel for your body and brain. Nutrients such as protein, fiber, natural sugars, and healthy fats help you move throughout the day.
What is the benefit of parfait?
Yogurt Parfait is rich in protein and low in cholesterol, and they are an excellent source of vitamins A, C, D, and B-12. Yogurt parfaits also contain iron, calcium, and magnesium. Some studies suggest that calcium in yogurt may be better absorbed by your body than calcium from other sources.
Healthy Parfait Recipe
- 1 cup Granola
- 1/2 cup coconut chips
- 2 medium size apple
- 2 medium size bananas
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (slightly crushed)
- Start by prepping all the ingredients that you have set aside for this recipe. Place a chopping board on a plane surface, and with your knife dice the apples, bananas, and grapes in small chunks and set aside. Now, in a small mixing bowl, add the yogurt and honey, then mix to combine and set aside.
- In a big glass cup, add some Greek yogurt, then add some honey and milk to thin out the yogurt slightly. Give it a good whipping to effectively combine. You should be getting a somewhat semi-liquid consistency after mixing.
- To assemble the Parfait, start by adding the yogurt into the glass you wish to serve with. Top with some granola, followed by some coconut chips, some cashew nuts as well.
- Then you add one more layer of yogurt. Now, top with some apples, bananas, grapes, then the raisins. You can add another layer of granola and another drizzle of yogurt.
- Repeat the same process until the cup is full.Place in the refrigerator to chill or consume immediately.
Pay attention to the layering of your parfait. It is the top of the Parfait that grabs the most attention, and if people cannot decipher what ingredients were used by just looking at the top, then they may not see it as delicious. Don’t put too many ingredients at the top but still, put the most important ones or the ones that you feel would be needed.
YouTube Video Credit: